Wednesday, August 20, 2008

CARRERA TOP TENS

Carrera de San Rafael....what a party, what a race...we'll definitely be back every year.
Karla-5th
Mary Ellen-8th
JV-9th

The team rode a very solid race with everyone focused on using their strengths smartly. The race started with a decent pace and a flurry of attacks. Early on three riders were off the front, I moved to the front and chased. Just as we caught them a Proman rider attacked with Karla on her wheel (good job Karla being in position and ready to follow the counter attack)..and the winning break was launched. Karla in the initial break (photo courtesy of Garrett Lau http://garrettlau.smugmug.com/

With Karla up the road, I focused on covering attacks and chase attempts. Shelley from Proman jumped, myself and Yukie from Kenda tried to go with her but couldn't match her speed. As the field caught myself and Yukie, I drifted back a bit to recover and Helene from Proman attacked and immediately had a gap. Unfortunately, this resulted in two more Proman riders making it to the break. Karla did a great job in the break though and took 5th in the sprint. At this point I focused on staying toward the front to help protect the break and allow ME to conserve for the final sprint. Sitting second wheel for the rest of the race, ME just waiting for her moment! (photo courtesy of Garrett Lau http://garrettlau.smugmug.com/)


On the backside in the final lap I went to the front in the hopes of providing ME a good lead out. I went as hard as I could, tried not to lose any speed in the corners, came through the final turn still at the front and started to sprint. ME came around just before the line to win the field sprint and 8th overall. I held on taking second in the field sprint and 9th overall.Mary Ellen and myself taking 1-2 in the field sprint....you can just see my foot behind ME...probably a good thing since I don't think my sprinting face is all that pretty (photo courtesy of Garrett Lau http://garrettlau.smugmug.com/)


Thanks for reading,

JV

No comments: